Frank and Eleanor Turner were married for nearly 65 years before they died six hours apart late last month — unaware of each other’s passing.
A picture of the couple’s obituary made the rounds on Reddit Monday after being posted by user UpUpDnDnLRLRBAstart.
According to the article, 87-year-old Eleanor died in Monroe, North Carolina on the morning of November 29 while in hospice care. Hours later, Frank, unaware that his wife had died, suffered respiratory failure and followed her.
Their love story is one for the ages. Frank and Eleanor met at a car dealership back in 1948 where Frank was shopping for a ride and Eleanor was working as a secretary. When asked if he wanted to test drive a car, Frank responded, “Yes, but only if I can take your secretary with me,” the couple’s daughter Linda Purser told the Charlotte Observer.
The couple’s bond lasted over six decades and produced two children and three grandchildren.
Purser told the Observer that her parents’ marriage was strong until the end. Before Eleanor was moved to hospice care, Frank looked after her even while the pair lived in a nursing home together. “[Frank] was still able to walk, and she wasn’t. She was supposed to pull a cord to alert the staff when she needed something, but she’d just call him instead,” Purser explained.
“He was doing stuff he wasn’t supposed to be doing. He did for her anything she wanted because he just adored her so much. And she sure loved him, too,” she added.
The two were buried together at Lakeland Memorial Park in North Carolina.
Also on HuffPost:
- “I took this on Christmas because we wanted to give everyone a photo as a present, but I spotted the tree a few weeks before and envisioned the photo at that moment as well. I setup my camera on a tripod, but wanted the picture to look as flat as possible so I placed it about 50 yards away from the tree. I thought I was going to be able to get the shot on one take and had the cameras timer maxed out at 10 seconds. It took me 5 tries. I was so winded by the last shot, but that was the one. To see the look on Jades face when I make something for her is greatest. So perfect.” – Dustin Safranek
- “This is my Valentine gift to my husband.” – Rani Rauniar
- “At our pre-wedding photoshoot 2 years ago.” – Nike and Bayo
- “This is my fiancee Rossella and I on our way back home to San Francisco after a night of celebrating a friend’s new job in Berkeley. She is the greatest comfort and joy I have ever known, and I think the expression on my face captures it.” – PJ Barry
- “Lindsey and Nick: a couple with special needs on their wedding day.” – Linda Atwell, <a href=”http://outoneear.com” target=”_blank”>Out One Ear</a>
- “Our first trip together to the Telluride Film Festival. Margaret and I have been married 8 blissful years as of January 13.” – Danny Lee Ladely
- “True love is carrying your girlfriend down a mountain when she wears the worst hiking shoes ever…even after ‘he told me so’” – Paula & Osmar
- “Our first dance at our December 1st wedding.” – Mia Aquino
- “My fiancé Cecelia and I are waiting for the music and partaking in our second favorite pastime: trying not to botch a self-portrait.” -Tom Gaines
- Submitted by Carrie Burns
- “This is my husband and I on our wedding day. My favorite picture from the day. Yes, he wore a kilt.” – Adele Flaherty
- “My fiancé (Chris) and I, from our engagement shoot. We’re getting married in May. I absolutely love this photo!” – Gretchen J. Wolf
- “With my fiance, Kusum, sharing an intimate moment together. What it’s all about.” – Nitish
- “The way my husband is looking at me, shows how in love we are.” – Ashley Cohen-Lewe
- Submitted by Dena Lopez.
- “Our 20th wedding anniversary. Best 20 years of my life. Going to try for another 20!” – Cheryl Smith Rizk
- “This photo was taken of me and my partner 14 years ago … and we are still waiting for our relationship to be legally recognized in all the states. However, that has not stopped us from becoming doting grandmothers, or from overcoming many of the same challenges, hurdles, and tough times as any of our family and friends have.” – Debra & Deborah
- Submitted by April LaMon
- “Our wedding day.” – Brooke Johnson Delk
- “Here is the photo I think shows the love I have for my husband! I was singing along to him while we had our first dance… (Turning Pages – Sleeping at Last).” – Brianne Geiger
- “We had no idea the picture was taken until the next morning.” – Amy Nagrodzki
- “With you there is nothing I can not do!” – Shannelle Armstrong Fowler
- “This is from the early stages of our relationship last summer, when our friends kept catching us ‘staring into each other’s eyes.’ We couldn’t keep our hands off of each other.” – Jon & Bethany
- “My little bride was just being herself, taking time to smell the roses, when I whipped out my cell and snapped this candid shot.” – Tom Collins
- “Danielle and Jason Parker, Dec 20th, 2004, St. John, U.S.V.I.” – Danielle Parker
- “This is from our wedding five years ago, Jan. 12, 2008. Never have our vows ‘in sickness and in health’ been truer. My husband, Phillip, started chemo this week for Stage IV Leukemia and I’ve never loved him more.” – Jessica Efron Sauer
- “Coldplay’s my favourite group. So this is three of my favourite things: My boyfriend ‘M’, Coldplay & lights. He asked me out this night. 4th Dec 2011. Manchester, MEN Arena, England.” – Patrick Ellis
- “We were in a long distance relationship for over a year, David in Berlin, Germany and me in Brooklyn. We spend every cent we had on plane tickets to visit each other every other month for over a year, taking turns going back and forth. We finally decided enough was enough and I picked up and moved to Berlin to be with him. We were MARRIED on October 26th, 2012 at the City Hall in Copenhagen, Denmark. Every day since has been one of the best days of my life.” – Joe Cooper
- Submitted by Nicole J. Richardson.
- “[Our] 16th wedding anniversary at St. Pats, still crazy about each other!” – Deirdre Yack
- Submitted by Jenny Waggenheim.
- “Here is a picture of me and my boo on our wedding day. He still captures my heart.” – Kara Williams
- “Neil has made my cheeks hurt since the day I met him. There is laughter in our house every day. He has changed my world and I can’t wait to marry him on June 14, 2013.” – Melissa Bupp
- “This is my fiance Troy. I think this photograph captures ‘Love In One Photo’ because this is looking at him through my eyes when he doesn’t know I’m watching him. My heart skips a beat because he made me the happiest I’ve ever been when he asked me to marry him last summer.” – Kimberly Malott
- “Our winter wedding day (Jan. 6, 2013) in Chicago.” – Julia Nissim
- “The photo was just taken by my cousin we were not even paying attention, she took it because she said we were always touching.” – Gabrielle Morales
- Submitted by Mini Hutson-Montoya.
- Submitted by Andrea Marie Luistro.
- “In this photo John and I are feeding the geese along a waterway in the Netherlands, when a dangerous biting swan came along pushing everyone out of the way, coming for us (we’d both been bitten prior by this guy). I’m letting John know to watch out, protecting him from the deadly swan!” – Patty Webster
- “Our ‘first look’ before our wedding ceremony.” – Jessica Armour
- “It’s not true for us that the higher you climb in love, the further you fall.” – Dana Britt
- “Ian and Emily’s love summed up in one photo!” – Emily Beaulac
- “This to me is the model of love. My Grandparents walking arms around each other.” – Lisa MacGregor
- “Roy and Linda Peay, married since 1990.” – Linda Peay
- “My husband and I are unknowingly captured in the background at my friend’s wedding.” – Robyn Atkinson
- “This photo is at our wedding day, our daughter ran up to be with us at the altar.” – Amanda Oberhaus
- @jenehirchiou: Our Wreck The Dress Shoot
- @GulfShoresGirl1: because through sickness n health I’m there IN the bed no matter what germs lurk #lovehim
- @claudiaamigo73: Here’s one of us taken 5 yrs ago, we´ve got our fingers crossed for marriage equality
- @tristakronfuss: After our wedding, we took pictures in the Snake River by Jackson Hole, WY
- @sarahgarvey16: husband & I during our 1st look photos on our wedding day. middle school sweethearts